For a little while now, I was working on a new thing - a program that would allow to test GameMaker code right in your browser.
It is now complete, published, and is pretty cool.
You can either check it out right now or continue reading for development details and a bunch of demonstrations of it in action.
Game's title screen
This week a One Script Games jam was held on GameMaker forums. In short, the rules are that the entire game must be done inside a single script (function), which is then called once per frame, and must make use of built-in functions to store and process all needed information.
While potentially a little quirky, this seemed like an interesting challenge, so I made a game for it.
The result is a mini-FPS that is a mix of Doom, Quake, and a particular cue sport.
You can download it right now or read the full post for technical details.
Have you heard of PICO-8? It's a "fantasy console" with little built-in sprite/code/level/sound/music editors and a carefully crafted spec. And (slightly changed) Lua scripting. And a web player export (example). A rather interesting option if you like working with restrictions and/or tiny pixelart.
Long story short, I've made a little Haxe compiler target that generates compact Lua code that runs on PICO-8.
This post covers reasoning, some technical details, and tricks used to accomplish this.
Let's talk about the process of making pixel fonts for a bit.
At first, it may seem like pixel/bitmap making fonts should be an easy process.
After all, there were lots of pixel fonts back in the day, right?
Although those were primarily raster
FON files, while vast majority of modern programs require you to supply fonts in either TrueType (TTF) or OpenType (OTF) formats, both of which generally imply vector-based representations of glyphs (symbols).
Obviously, drawing a pixel font in a vector editor is as bad of an idea as it sounds.
Fortunately, there's a bunch (more like a couple) of programs specifically made for creating pixel fonts. However, these naturally imply that you will have to [re-]draw your font in the program itself, regardless of whether the program is to your tastes or not.
At this point one may be wondering, why isn't it possible to just draw the font in the pixelart editor of your choice and have it automagically converted into an actual font.
After thinking about this for some time (while trying to find "right-looking" fonts), my patience kind of ran out, and I've decided to make such a thing.
So I've made a program that does just that - you give it an image of your font, note the letters/symbols written in it, and get a code that you can import into BitFontMaker2 to make it into an actual font. It's small, clean, and runs right in the browser. Sounds good to be true? See for yourself:
If you like what I'm doing, you can support me via Patreon (it matters!)
Click to open in new tab
Yesterday I've made an interactive mock-up of "Extra Ordinary" comic #337. I think it carries the point pretty well. A link to the comic is available from the page (view after page to avoid a micro-spoiler). This blog post, on other hand, covers a few technical/process details, just in case you're curious.
If you've been following me on the social networks, you may already know, that for the past three months I was working on a Spelunky Classic modification called Spelunky SD. It is a pretty broad project, implementing a number of fixes and improvements to the original game, and, most importantly, adding a 2-player cooperative online game mode. Continue reading
Today, I am proud to announce the first public release of this project.
And this is a blog post about my experiences.
Hello again. It've been a short while, but I have some news - today I'm proud to present you with... Terrasavr!
Terrasavr is a web-based profile viewer & editor for Terraria (video game). You can either take a look at it from that last link, or read the full post for more details.
It've been a long long time. How have you been?
Meanwhile I have been studying, working on some things (you can also see from the finally linked Works page), some of which I am going to highlight in next few days here.
Today I'm officially releasing OpenFL-bitfive, an alternative backend to OpenFL-html5. Similar to standard backend, OpenFL-bitfive assists you at creating HTML5 games (apart of standard Flash, Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, [...] ones) with use of comfortable Flash-like OpenFL API. A difference is that while focusing only on certain feature set, OpenFL-bitfive reaches quite higher performance and compatibility in its niche, also making it possible to develop mobile HTML5 games using the framework. This post goes in-depth about it.
Screenshot of program
I'm pleased to present you TestDX, a test&benchmark program that I've developed a week ago for one of courses in university.
This program tests a set of characteristics, some of which are related to behaviours in GameMaker games specifically.
Program includes English and Russian localizations, with additional ones being easy enough to add (if wished).
It can be considered non-interactive (apart from being able to pause tests at any time by pressing a key), however visual presentation is kept at good level, making two minutes, that it takes program to perform all tests, worth looking at.
To keep things 'transparent', a source is included in download. There is no set license for it, but makes itself useful, if you're curious, how everything works in test.
Some of code in source is quite rushed (often done in spare minutes), but I've added documentation to all scripts, and generally code style is kept intact.
Description of specific test results below.