On some occasions you may want to open a link in a new tab a GameMaker' HTML5 game.
As simple as it may look, this presents a bit of a problem:
url_open opens links in the same tab.
url_open_ext can open links in a new tab, but triggers popup blocker.
clickables can open links in a new tab, but have to be repositioned manually.
(particularly inconvenient if scaling-positioning the game for mobile browsers)
url_open_ext is by far the most convenient of these, so let me explain why that does not work:
To prevent any page from being able to randomly open indefinitely large quantities of new tabs, the browser will automatically block attempts to open new tabs\windows unless they originate from user interaction (click event);
GameMaker handles events, and writes down new input states to later dispatch GML-level events at the right time and place (see event order). This means that your GML code inside a "Mouse Pressed" event does not count as originating from a user interaction (as it executes a few milliseconds later), and thus is not allowed to open new tabs (and do some other things).
However, with a bit of JS (and understanding of internal workings of GM), it is possible to accomplish the intended result, and this post is about that.
This post is about resolving situations involving loosing parts of GameMaker projects - be that from human error, software glitches, or hardware failure.
Mouseover to view animation (note: mild color cycling)
A year and some ago, I published an extension that allows to use custom logos for HTML5 games made with GameMaker: Studio. Since some functionality has been added since then, I made an updated version with more options.
Original Spelunky's source code is available for download for a while now.
The downloadable project is, however, in GM8 format, and does not easily work in GMS.
At the same time, a GameMaker:Studio-compatible (ported) version of Spelunky Classic was included in Humble GameMaker Bundle, and thus available to anyone that bought the bundle.
A certain problem with that is, obviously, that if you haven't had the luck to be made aware of and buy the bundle in time, you would not have access to it afterwards.
However, I was able to confirm that the GMS version of Spelunky Classic included in the bundle can in fact be distributed publicly (because the GM8 one already is publicly available), so here's that:
MD5 checksum: 65c418623581b9d0c392cd8709e2739f
SHA-1 checksum: fd9794f05d62e37dfd1213769bb8afcad9cfaf16
Keep in mind, however, that this the exact file made available via Humble - it may still have some oddities that you'd need to resolve. Regardless, a solid starting point.
For discussions, check out the official forums. Have fun!
Yesterday I made a GameMaker: Studio extension that provides a bunch of utility functions:
Allows to minimize/maximize/restore the window on demand.
Allows to disable/enable minimize button, maximize button, close button, and window movement.
Allows to override behavior for when minimize/maximize/close buttons are clicked.
It is available for free via itch.io;
Some examples of uses follow.
Mouseover to activate, click to reposition the clipping star.
This is a tutorial about pretty much everything related to clipping drawn graphics in GameMaker.
That is, having drawn graphics only display inside a certain ("clip") area, be that a rectangle (UI regions, minimaps, etc.), circle, or a completely arbitrary shape (pictured above).
Also I'm trying new things so this post is nicely stuffed with interactive demos and snippets.
(mouseover/click to play GIF)
This is a post about implementing homing missiles in GameMaker.
A homing missile is a type of missile that can alter its direction mid-flight to hit a (generally) moving target.
This is a small blog post about a thing that I've now explained so many times that it became obvious that it needs a blog post.
People are constantly asking about how built-in alarms work and how they could be replicated with custom GML code (for having >12 alarms, organization, or else).
Quality of explanations and equivalent code often varies, so here I explain both.
As you might know, last year I made Nuclear Throne Together, which is a mod for Nuclear Throne that adds online multiplayer, fixes some bugs, improves the cooperative mode, and otherwise is very nice.
Just about this time last year, Nuclear Throne update 98 has released, which remains the most recent official update of the game.
Today I've released what is the largest update to Nuclear Throne Together to date.
Since people have asked, I wrote another tiny GameMaker extension.
This one allows you to display "progress" on the game's taskbar button (Win7+ feature).
You can change status (none/unknown/active/paused/stopped) and set the current/total progress.
The feature is intended to be used for displaying progress of continuous operations, such as showing download progress, file operations, and so on.
There are numerous unexpected uses too - for example, personally I'm guilty of [mis]using it to display battery charge, since taking a glance at the taskbar button is much easier than making out percentages from the tray icon, and a button turning yellow/red in taskbar is easier to notice as well.
Much akin to the previous published one, this extension provides exactly one function with a number of constants for various options. And there's C++ code included too, if you're curious.
The extension can be obtained from itch.io or GameMaker: Marketplace.
The demo project shown on the GIF is included in both packages.